Thursday, May 07, 2015

Spring Cleaning: Closet Cleanse!

This day has been a long time coming! I've been ammassing clothes for quite some time now. At a glance I've found clothes in my closet that I've had for about 8 years!

My life has gone through a lot of phases in that time. I'm married now, and all the clothes that used to fit in my closet are now fighting to find space in our shared closet. 
My awesome carpenter dad built these shelves for us. Believe me when I say it is a HUGE improvement over the typical college apartment single bar closet scene. :) 
I think you can see that I take up over half of the closet! Even with all of these clothes to choose from, I spend way too much time trying to find something I actually like! So, the closet cleanse is coming in to play.

Inspiration for this project actually came from my husband. He found an article on Facebook that talked about capsule closets and shared it with me. He's seen me struggle over the last year and a half with trying to find something I actually want to wear. This was his kind way of helping out. Thanks Honey!

But what is a capsule closet? It means having a limited amount of clothes that you love to wear and that can be easily mixed and matched. The first step is decluttering, so that's what I'm doing this week. =D

For kicks and giggles I'm going to keep a count of the clothes I start off with then compare that to what I actually keep!

Before
25 dresses.That's almost enough to wear a different one for every day of a month!!!!
23 skirts. Again, almost a whole months worth!!!

By putting only the skirts and dresses that I would wear this instant and absolutely love, the numbers came down to...

8 dresses. The two on the left are my more formal occasion dresses while tho others are more casual. I think you can tell that I love patterns! Specifically, I super love black and white/cream patterns. ^,^

7 skirts. Two short circle, one short pencil, two maxi, one lace, one long flowy. So much blue! My blue maxi totally blends with our bedspread! Hahaha.
I love this multi hanger for skirts! It super saves a lot of space in the closet, but still leaves all the skirts visible and accessible. =D
Into the closet with you!!!!! 
Many clean! Much wow!


I like dresses and skirts a lot! Not only do I wear them weekly for attending church, but I love mixing things up during the week too.

As I get everything sorted, I might end up pulling more out or adding a few things back in. For now, this feels like a good number!

Moving on.

 It is time. Time for the shirts! Since I'm getting my wardrobe ready for spring/summer, most of my shirts are going to be short sleeve. So here's the count!

Before
20 short sleeve shirts. So much pink! As a triplet, it was easiest for our parents to color code our clothes. :) I was pinks and reds! I've since branched out...a little bit... ;)


38 long/quarter sleeve shirts......  ...  ........ Yeah...... I have a problem. I love sweater weather! But well, it just kinda turns into this mess!
Some of these will go into storage, and I'll keep out a couple for those brisk nights, but these have got to go!

After
9 short sleeve shirts made the cut. When I look at these! I just want to wear all of them right now! Looks like I'm not straying very far from my traditional pinks.... I might replace one or two of these if I find anything that begs me to buy it, but I think I'll keep the number to 9. 

2 long sleeve shirts, 1 quarter sleeve. 
These are going to be mostly for camping or evening outdoor activities. 

Now we are on to the pants!

Before
3 pajama pants.
8 long pants.
3 capris
4 shorts. 

I'm going to have a much easier time paring these down! 

Now we are down to...
1 pajama pant.
2 long pants. 
1 capri (gauchos).
2 shorts. 

I do know that I'm on the prowl for a new pair of capris. So far though, I haven't found anything that I like, but my hopes are high. :)

So here we go! The mostly finished closet cleanse!
I decided to hang my pants on one of my leftover skirt hangers. :D I'm hoping this will help cut down on wrinkles! 
Huzzah for closet space! The one empty hanger belongs to the shirt I am wearing! 

Speaking of hangers....

We now have excess. :) Anyone need an extra hanger or two? ;) 

So to sum it up:
8 dresses
7 skirts
12 shirts
5 pants 

I haven't started on jackets or cardigans yet, but we are going to keep the number low. I'll update later with the final closet! I might even talk my husband into paring down his wardrobe too!!! =D







No comments:

Post a Comment