Monday, September 22, 2014

Crafting adventures!

It has been a busy few weeks! First I was sick, the I was catching up from being sick, and now I'm just working busily to meet assignment deadlines. It's fun being a student, but it sure takes a lot of effort too! So here's a few samples of what I've been working on for the past little while.

First off, we have what I affectionately call the "Upgraded Inkblots"


For my 2-D Design class, we had to combine shapes abstractly and have fun with their interactions. It was lots of fun! These are painted with a blue calligraphy ink. I used water to get the light blue. 

Next up we have these lovely hair fobs!


Believe it or not, making these was a class assignment! That's my friend Kirsten. We studied the jewelry of the ancient era Nara, Japan. It was really fun! We both learned so much! For instance, they had never really had jewelry before. Also, they were just learning about dying cloth for their clothes! Super interesting! I might put up a post about it later. :) Now, don't tell my teacher, but we accidentally used glow in the dark clay for the bases before we painted them. Mine still faintly glows....  :D hahaha! Another fun fact is that this is how they would wear their hair for realsies! Probably a sight bit neater though.

Next up is a color explosion!
Each of those little spike bits was cut out individually then glued together. The point of this assignment was to get something that makes your eyes go a little twangy. It was pretty successful I think. I kept turning to my husband to ask him if it was hurting his eyes enough. ;D

After exploding colors we had to make the paper look transparent.

That's three different colored tiles you're looking at there. Good times!

I think our final addition to this post comes in the shape of a collar I made! :) 

These little jobies are made from a thing called "fosshape". It's a fabric that you steam and it becomes stiff! So I steamed them into that shape, then painted them all pretty like.

Here's Kirsten modeling the collar I made and the hat that she made! I'm sporting a seashell crown one of our other classmates made. 

Or you can wear it as a beard thing if that's what you like. :D

The inspiration for the various pieces you saw came from Brian Christensen's paintings for an upcoming play my college is putting on soon. 

So that's it for now! Fortunately, there is never a shortage of new things to make and crafts to explore!









2 comments:

  1. Haha, the beard thing! Very cool collar. I like it with the hat. Such creativitinesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really fun to work with such creative people! :D

    ReplyDelete