Sunday, June 14, 2015

Weekend Adventures

This weekend marks two in a row where I got to have fun away from home! Last week was a trip with my mom to Panguitch for their annual Quilt Walk Festival! This week, we are getting a triple whammy adventure! It's my Mother in Law's birthday celebration, Father's Day with my father in law, then Father's Day with my Daddio!

So last week, Momma Stott (me mum) and I packed into her car filled with sewing machines, fabric, patterns, etcetera and headed south! Best part is that we started the morning off with a grand view of 8 hot air balloons in the morning sky! Here's a picture of the sky! :) Sorry, no balloons in this pic.

Just beautiful isn't it? 
Well, after folding and getting mom's patterns for her classes all prepared, we reached our destination! Just in time for lunch. 

We had a lot of fun! I tried to help her teach her classes on Binding, and what she calls "Snippets". While I don't know how much help I was, it was great spending time together!

Now, I don't know about all of you, but I didn't know anything about Panguitch until this trip!

Here's what I discovered. 

When the settlement was first created they had a very short growing season because the snows came very early. They didn't have enough food to last the winter and would starve. So 7 men set out with a horse and wagon to get food from another settlement on the other side of the mountains. The snow was too deep for the wagon however, so they continued on foot. Eventually, they couldn't even do that. With a prayer they were inspired to use the quilts they had brought to keep warm as a type of pavement. They lady the wilts on the snow and were able to walk across the top with greater ease. Eventually they made it across and were able to bring back food for their families. :) 

Here's a picture of the monument in town. 

The residents here never forgot this story and honor it by holding a yearly "Quilt Walk Festival". It's a small town, so nearly everywhere you look there are quilts displayed for everyone to see! Here's a few pictures I was able to shoot as we drove by. ;)


It was a wonderful experience! I was able to help my mom with the classes she taught, and I also learned that people have a lot of interest in learning how to make Temari! It was a great trip. 

Here's a picture of mom and I in our matching pjs. Her shirt was really more green than this picture implies. 

Here was our room key! So cool!

Also,I purchased this awesome bag while there! Mom and I have since tied the fringe so it's a little more under control. :)

I love getting to spend time with my mom and learning about the history of our nation. 

Do you have a favorite pioneer story or story of your ancestors? Leave a comment below and share! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment