Wednesday, September 10, 2014

NO SLEEP pt. 1

I don't know about many of you, but once school time comes around there is something I dread even more than loads of homework. This dreaded thing is falling asleep in class! Any lecture class, any desk or chair, within 15 minutes, I'm playing the stealthy headbob game. Sometimes I can fight it off, but usually it's a loosing battle.

This post is the first of many more to come about the crafts I do so I don't slumber when I should be learning numbers! (or whatever)

Here I have a simple case for my ipad that I bought during the bookstore sale here at school. It has fun colors and all, but I missed out on the chevron craze and am not too crazy about it myself. Just not my favorite. All in all, when I see this case and feel the material, I think "boring". Also, if I ever set my device on top, everything slides right of because of the very smooth texture. Blegh!


My vision? Something that says creative and classy while being romantic at the same time. Honestly the hardest part is choosing the fabric. With much deliberation and the realization that if I didn't like it, I could change it, I chose the fabric. 

Step 1: Choose the fabric. This came from my stash of upholstery fabrics. I just love the colors and pattern! Paisley=always gonna win.


Step 2: Measure and cut fabric leaving enough of a margin to fold under. This doesn't need to be a science, just something rough will do. You can also fussy cut it if you really love a design in the fabric.  Since this isn't a large case, every space counts. I needed two big pieces and I also cut an additional skinny strip to make into a strap thingy for my stylus to fit into. 


Step 3: Fold over edges and pin into place. *make sure to bring along enough pins* I only had a few so I had to rotate them around a bit. You can see that I didn't pin the fabric right to the edge, that is fixed with the next step!



Step 4: Hand sew! Since I'm no expert on this, I won't tell you how. All you have to do is make sure the fabric reaches the edge you need it to! Since it's been folded over already all you have to do is take time and stitch. 


There it is! I admit that I finished it after class was over, but it served its purpose.  Now I have a fun and unique case that I made while I combated sleep! There's no stylus holder for now, but that's just going to be a project for another day. :) This will work for now.


~Stitching out
          Lali


2 comments: